TO: IASBO Members
FROM: Denny Costerison
INDIANA SCHOOL BUSINESS OFFICIALS LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
Indiana ASBO is very pleased to announce that the appropriation for the Indiana School Business Officials Leadership Academy is in House Enrolled Act 1001 for the next two years. The Academy is designed to strengthen the management and leadership skills of practicing school business officials.
The Academy will provide the participants with a wide-range of professional experiences. Fiscal and school business management issues will be discussed, but the emphasis of the Academy will be to build and enhance leadership skills. These will be “out of the box” presentations to grow the management proficiencies of the participants. There will be lecture time and interactive activities, plus field trips to expand the Academy experience. The Academy faculty are nationally known speakers who will be coming to Indiana from across the country.
Indiana ASBO has created an application process that includes the qualifications, application process, Academy schedule and the Academy curriculum. The following details the essential elements of the Academy application process.
**Qualifications for Participation**
- Applicant must be a practicing school business official in Indiana and an IASBO member.
- Applicant must have a minimum of five (5) years of school business management experience.
- A superintendent does qualify if they are an IASBO member.
The Academy will be limited to 40 individuals. If more than 40 applications are received, a selection committee has been formed to review the applications and recommend those selected for the Academy.
- The Academy is a two-year program.
- There will be four (4) two-day sessions per fiscal year.
- The program is a total of 16 days and over 90 hours of instruction.
- First day timeline: 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Second day timeline: 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- 2017-16 Academy Schedule:
- September 14-15, 2017
- November 16-17, 2017
- March, 2018 (actual dates for March and April are being determined)
- April, 2018
Indianapolis Marriott North Hotel
3645 River Crossing Parkway
Indianapolis, IN 46240
IASBO will have a block of rooms reserved for the Academy at a discounted rate.
Core program: 1) Leadership Essentials; 2) Management Skills; 3) Personal Growth; 4) Executive Communication; 5) Culture and Climate; and 6) Fiscal Management. Examples of specific curriculum sessions include the following:
- Leadership in 4 Directions
- Strategic Planning and the School Business Official
- Assessing and Building Trust
- Surviving Change, Chaos and Confusion
- Wellness for You and Your Team
- Leadership Lessons of Gettysburg
- First Why and Then Trust
- Emotional Intelligence
- Situational Leadership
- It’s All About Teamwork
Each participant will receive the following:
- A binder to accumulate Academy on-line materials, notes and session hand-outs.
- An Academy portfolio and attaché bag.
- A least one leadership book for each day of the Academy. Over 30 books were provided to the last Academy participants.
- $400 annually paid by employer or individual or combination.
- $800 commitment for the 2-year program.
- Once participants are selected, IASBO will send an invoice for the first year.
- Housing will be paid by the participant.
- The following meals will be provided each day of the Academy: Day One – lunch and dinner; Day Two – breakfast and lunch. Appropriate break items will be provided.
- The Academy application can be found at the following link http://www.indiana-asbo.org/prof-development/2017-19-iasbo-leadership-academy/ or on the IASBO website by clicking on the ‘2017-19 IASBO Leadership Academy’ link found beneath the ‘Professional Development’ tab on the navigation bar.
- The application requires an essay on why you should be considered for the Academy.
- The application contains an endorsement that must be signed by your superintendent or school board president.
- The application contains a pledge to attend all meetings that must be signed by the applicant.
- Applications must be sent by mail or email to the IASBO office to the attention of Dennis Costerison and must be received by 5:00 pm on June 16, 2017.
- Successful applicants will be notified on or before July 7, 2017.
If you have questions regarding the Academy, please contact Denny Costerison at 317-639-3586 ext. 106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
IASBO Platinum Sponsors – PUBLIC TRUST ADVISORS; DEEM; ICE MILLER; AMERICAN FIDELITY; PERFORMANCE SERVICES